Mayor Brian Henry
Mayor Brian Henry was elected Mayor of the Town of Pawleys Island in November 2019 and is currently serving his third term following reelection in November 2023. His tenure has been marked by significant accomplishments and initiatives aimed at preserving the unique character of Pawleys Island.
Under Mayor Henry’s leadership, several key initiatives have been successfully implemented, including:
- Strategic Planning: Development of a formal strategic plan outlining future priorities for Pawleys Island: Beach Preservation, Island Resiliency, Creek Management, Long Term Capital Funding
- Architectural Preservation: Establishment of an Architectural Review Board to safeguard local heritage.
- Environmental Conservation: Implementation of a Tree Ordinance to conserve the island’s natural beauty.
- Coastal Resilience: Creation of a Sea Level Rise Coastal Adaptation Study to address vital coastal resilience issues.
Born and raised in Lafayette, Louisiana, Brian Henry attended Louisiana State University, earning a degree in Electrical Engineering in May 1990. Post-graduation, he moved to Atlanta, where he worked for Andersen Consulting (now Accenture) and Coca-Cola. Over 12 years, he honed leadership, organization, process improvement, customer service, and management skills.
In 1997, Brian married Sassy and the couple had two children, May May (born 1998) and Camille (2001). In March 2002, the family moved to Pawleys Island to take over the historic Sea View Inn.
Brian’s entrepreneurial spirit shone through in 2006 when he and Sassy created the pimento cheese brand, Palmetto Cheese. In 2011, Brian and Sassy opened Get Carried Away Southern Takeout and plan to inaugurate a second location in Mount Pleasant in January 2024.
Community Service and Leadership
Brian’s commitment to community service is evident through various roles:
- Served on the Georgetown County Planning Commission from 2007-2015, chairing it from 2011-2015.
- Acted as Booster Club President at Waccamaw High School (2012-2019), also serving as the Voice of the Warriors for football games.
- Voted Citizen of the Year for Pawleys Island alongside his wife in 2014.
- Chaired multiple fundraising events, supporting local organizations and schools.
- The Henrys generously support multiple local charities and community groups.
Away from his mayoral duties and business ventures, Brian is an avid golfer and tennis player, enjoys boating and fishing, is pursuing his pilot’s license, and has recently begun learning guitar.